Updated: Feb 21
Mee Tai Bak or Lo Shee Fun is a very popular short rice noodle with pointed ends introduced to Singapore and Malaysia by the southern Chinese migrants from Guangzhou. The noodles are usually served in soupy formats but hawkers and chefs in both countries have also introduced the stir fried version. It is often dished up after stir-frying it with a dash of sweet soya sauce and can also be cooked with meats or seafood or both in wet gravy claypot versions which is very popular in Malaysia.
Today, Chef Eric (IG:chefericlow) will show us a step by step tutorial on how to recreate his latest recipe using our LG Wholegrain Mee Tai Bak. This healthy noodle stir-fried noodle is a very popular street grub found in the street hawkers of Malaysia and the Cze Char Stalls in Singapore. Additional seafood like squid and crabmeat can also be added to the recipe as desired. The unique addition of century eggs brings a new level of taste enhancement to this simple hawker dish. Splash 2-3 tablespoons of water just before dishing up if you would like a more moisture version of it.
Ingredients (serves 2)
• 8 tbsp cooking oil
• 2 eggs
• 2 cloves of garlic, minced
• 60g of long beans, diced
• 120g frozen shrimp (41-50), defrosted
• 50g bean sprouts
•10g red chillied, sliced
• 1 pack of LG Wholegrain Mee Tai Bak
• 50ml water
•1tbsp fish sauce
•1tbsp dark sweet sauce
• 1 century egg, diced or 20g of black fungus, soaked and diced
• 2 stalk of spring onion, diced
1. Combine water and fish sauce, then set aside.
2. Heat oil in wok, scramble eggs till foamy.
3. Add chopped garlic, prawns and long beans. Cook briefly for 2-3 mins.
4. Add Mee Tai Bak noodles, bean sprouts, and fish sauce, followed by the dark sweet sauce mixture to season the noodles when stir frying.
5. Add chilies and continue to stir-fry.
6. Add century eggs/black fungus and spring onions. Stir-fry briefly to mix well, then dish up and serve.
Try it out and tag us on Instagram #cookwithlg! We'd love to see your version of this
Shop for your favourite LG Foods products
LG Wholegrain Mee Tai Bak is available at:
Supermarkets Selected Sheng Siong outlets, FairPrice outlets and Marketplaces.
Culinary, Heritage, Education, Feed (CHEF).
Keynote Speaker, Content Generator, Storyteller.
Chief Eric loves to travel, occasionally dabbles in culinary journalism.