Updated: Sep 13
Bun cha is a traditional Vietnamese dish comprising of grilled meatballs served with vermicelli, fresh herbs and vegetables to be dipped in a savoury broth. While traditionally made with pork, vegetarian friends can still enjoy bun cha made with tau kwa.
Bun cha is the perfect balance of hearty and refreshing. It's easy to prepare and perfect for the hot and humid afternoons we've been having lately in Singapore!
Ingredients (serves 3):
• 1 packet of LG Tau Kwa (300g)
• 3 cloves worth of minced garlic
• 1/4 cup of chopped spring onion
• 1 lemongrass, minced
• 1 egg (or vegan egg replacement)
• 2 tsp sugar
• 3 handfuls of vermicelli/bee hoon, soaked in boiling water
• 1/2 cup of fresh herbs of your liking – mint leaves, basil leaves, coriander
• 3 handfuls of beansprouts
• 1 birds eye chilli (adjust to taste)
• 2 tbsp of fish sauce (can replace with soy sauce)
• 2-3 small limes (adjust to taste)
• 2 cloves worth of minced garlic (adjust to taste)
• 1 tsp sugar
Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Using your hands, mix until it forms an even paste.
With clean wet hands, roll small balls of the mixture, aiming for slightly larger than bite-sized. Press them between the palms to flatten slightly.
Add a splash of oil to a frying pan set on medium heat. To check if the pan is ready, place a wooden chopstick or toothpick and check for small bubbles forming around the tip.
Fry the tofu-balls for 20-30s on each side. Flip when brown.
5. In a small dipping bowl, combine the remaining garlic, chilli, fish sauce, sugar, and squeezed lime with half a cup of water. Mix well to dissolve the sugar. If it's a little too strong, you can add more water.
6. Strain the vermicelli and give it a quick rinse under the tap to cool down and remove any excess starch.
7. On a plate, place the vermicelli, beansprouts, and herbs. Place the tofu balls on top to serve, and the dipping sauce on the side.
Try it out and tag us on Instagram #cookwithlg! We'd love to see your own spin on this dish.
Shop for your favourite LG Foods products
LG Tau Kwa is available at:
Supermarkets Selected Sheng Siong outlets and Marketplaces